Cantonese style mooncakes
Recipe for cantonese style mooncakesThis article was published by: Matthew
Share this content!
⚠ Note: for metric to imperial (or vice-versa) conversion please refer to our article on Cooking Measurements 101.
♼ Featured image is generic and may not represent the (final) appearance of a dish.
♼ Recipe origin is unknown. INGREDIENTS:
45g peanut oil
5g lye/alkaline water
110g golden syrup
5g black treacle/dark soy sauce
150g cake flour
Pinch of salt
1 kg mooncake paste, any flavour
50g melon seeds
8 nos. salted egg yolks (optional, see Note 2)
1 tbsp water
1 tsp peanut oil
- To prepare syrup: Combine all ingredients of syrup in a pan. Stir over low heat until the golden syrup is dissolved. Remove from stove and set aside to cool .
- To prepare mooncake pastry: Sift cake flour, cornflour and salt twice. While the syrup is still slightly warm, pour it into the sifted flours. Using K-beater of your mixer , mix flours and syrup to form a soft dough . Cover with cling film and stand at room temperature for 10-12 hours .
- To prepare mooncake paste: Spread mooncake paste on a piece of plastic sheet . Spread melon seeds on the paste and roll the paste up like rolling a swiss roll. Spread the paste and roll it up again to make sure melon seeds are nicely “embedded” in the paste.
- Divide mooncake pastry in Step 2to 7 portions of 40g and 1 portion of 15g (small mooncake). Knead each portion for a while and roll into a ball .
- Divide mooncake paste in Step 3to 7 portions of 120g (for mooncake with yolks) and 1 portion of 30g (small mooncake), OR7 portions of 140g (mooncakes without yolks). Knead each portion a little and form each into a ball .
- Lightly flour (using cake flour) your hands. Flatten a pastry dough on your palm to be a 2.5-inch circle. Press to make the edges thinner than the central part . Place a ball of paste as shown in Pic. 9. Start pushing the paste against the dough. As you push the paste, the dough will start enlarging .
- Press the centre of the paste lightly and place an egg yolk there. Continue to wrap up the mooncake. Roll into a ball.
- Lightly flour the mooncake. Place mooncake, seam side up, in mould. Flatten moocake to conform to shape of mould . Bang upper, lower, left and right sides of mould to dislodge the mooncake . Place cake on a baking tray lined with grease-proof baking sheet . Repeat to shape remaining mooncakes.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degC for 10 minutes.
- At the meantime, prepare egg glaze. Beat egg slightly. Add peanut oil and water. Strain the egg mixture.
- Remove mooncakes from oven and set aside for 10 minutes. Brush with egg glaze . Stand for further 5 minutes before returning mooncakes to oven. Bake for another 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer mooncakes to a wire rack and let cool .
- Store for 2-3 days before serving.
Share this content!
Reference: Cantonese style mooncakes
Recipe type: xarchivex
Find more recipes on thesmartcookiecook.com or see our latest posts.