Tex mex spicy cornbread recipe
Tex-Mex Spicy Cornbread
⚠ Note: for metric to imperial (or vice-versa) conversion please refer to our article on Cooking Measurements 101.
♼ Featured image is generic and may not represent the (final) appearance of a dish.
♼ Recipe origin is unknown.
Eat just like the cowboys on the old range. Bust out a cast-iron skillet and make yourself this spicy cornbread. Then listen for the howl of the wolf and the lowing of the cattle.
Ready in: 30 mins
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 3 tablespoons shortening, melted
- 1 (3 ounce) jar roasted red pepper, drained and chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced green onions
- 3 tablespoons fresh or pickled jalapeno peppers with seeds
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 3 tablespoons shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 20 mins
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and generously grease a 10-inch cast-iron skillet (or any heavy skillet) with shortening or nonstick cooking spray. Place skillet in oven to heat.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the buttermilk, egg, egg white, and melted shortening. Stir in the red peppers, green onions, and jalapeno peppers.
4. Pour the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture all at once, and stir until just blended. Fold in the corn.
5. Spoon the batter into the hot skillet, and sprinkle with the cheese.
6. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve immediately.Serving Suggestions
Jud serves this with chili, beans, and a green salad.
Reference: Tex mex spicy cornbread recipe
Recipe type: xarchivex
Find more recipes on thesmartcookiecook.com or see our latest posts.