Teochew spiral yam mooncakes
Recipe for teochew spiral yam mooncakesThis article was published by: Matthew
⚠ Note: for metric to imperial (or vice-versa) conversion please refer to our article on Cooking Measurements 101.
♼ Featured image is generic and may not represent the (final) appearance of a dish.
♼ Recipe origin is unknown. INGREDIENTS:
740g steamed and mashed yam
150g corn oil
1/4 tsp salt
30g melon seeds (optional)
8 nos. salted egg yolks (optional, see Note 1)
2-3 tsp yam paste/violet colouring
Water dough @ 100g:
230g Rose/all-purpose flour
28g icing sugar
75g corn oil
Oil dough @ 67g:
175g cake/superfine/high ratio flour
1-2 tsp yam paste/violet colouring
- Place mashed yam in a pan/wok. Add salt, sugar and oil gradually into yam paste, a small portion at a time. Keep stirring at all times. Cook until the paste leaves the sides of the wok clean when stirred. Set aside to cool.
- Measure 640g of yam paste for mooncakes with no yolks, OR480g for mooncakes with yolks. Add melon seeds (if using) and mix well. Divide into 8 equal portions and roll each into a ball. Wrap an egg yolk into each ball (if using yolks).
- To prepare water dough: Sift flour and icing sugar into a mixing bowl. Make a well in the middle and gradually pour in the corn oil and water. Mix well and lightly knead for about 1 minute until a non-sticky dough is formed. Leave the dough aside and go on to prepare oil dough.
- To prepare oil dough: Sift flour into another mixing bowl. Mix shortening with flour well. Do not knead this dough .
- Divide water and oil dough into 4 portions . Each water dough should weigh 100g while each oil dough should weigh 67g .
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out a water dough. Wrap an oil dough with this water dough to form a ball .
- Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough in Step 6. Roll as swiss-roll . Give the dough a quarter turn and roll out the dough length wise again. Roll as swiss-roll . Divide it into 2 equal portions .
- Repeat the same procedure for the remaining water and oil doughs. These pastry skins are ready to be used.
- Lightly flour (using cake flour) the working surface. With the cut side face down, roll out the dough such that the edges are thinner than the centre . Repeat to shape remaining mooncakes.
- Place mooncakes on a baking tray lined with grease-proof baking sheet. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degC for 25-30 minutes or until cooked .
- Transfer mooncakes to a wire rack and let cool.
Reference: Teochew spiral yam mooncakes
Recipe type: xarchivex
Find more recipes on thesmartcookiecook.com or see our latest posts.
(Visited 27 times, 1 visits today)