Smoked tofu with grilled onions and mushrooms with cilantro lemon dressing recipe
Smoked Tofu with Grilled Onions and Mushrooms with Cilantro-Lemon DressingThis article was published by: Matthew
Share this content!
⚠ Note: for metric to imperial (or vice-versa) conversion please refer to our article on Cooking Measurements 101.
♼ Featured image may be generic and may not represent the (final) appearance of a dish.
Recipe introThis recipe for smoked tofu with grilled onions and mushrooms is a delicious and healthy option for both vegetarians and meat lovers alike. The smoky flavor of the tofu pairs perfectly with the caramelized onions and earthy mushrooms, creating a satisfying and flavorful dish. To add a refreshing twist, a zesty cilantro lemon dressing is drizzled on top, elevating the flavors and adding a burst of citrusy goodness. Whether you're looking for a quick weeknight meal or a crowd-pleasing appetizer, this recipe is sure to impress.
Keywords: smoked tofu, grilled onions, mushrooms, cilantro lemon dressing, vegetarian recipe.
smoked tofu with grilled onions and mushrooms with cilantro lemon dressing recipe details
You can serve this on pasta, on sandwiches, rolled in a tortilla, on salads, or just eat if by itself. Smother with dressing as desired. Make sure not to overcook the tofu – just brown it on both sides.
Ready in: 4 hours
- 3 pounds firm tofu packed in water (not the hermetically sealed boxes)
- 3 cups canola or peanut oil
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups Mrs. Braggs(R) Liquid Aminos
- 2-3 tablespoons real maple syrup
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- pepper to taste
- Hickory wood chips, for grilling, soaked in water for 1 hour before using
- 4-5 onions, sliced
- 1 pound sliced mushrooms
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1/2 bunch parsley
- 4 cloves garlic, or more to taste
- 1 cup olive oil
- Fresh juice from 4 lemons
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch cayenne pepper or dash of preferred spicy sauce (optional)
Preparation methodPrep: 3 hours 30 mins | Cook: 30 mins
1. Freeze the tofu and then let it thaw before using. This gives the tofu a more chicken-like, tougher texture that holds together well when grilling. Squeeze the water out of the tofu blocks between two flat surfaces, then slice into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Lay the tofu slices in a shallow pan.
2. Blend the oil, liquid aminos, maple syrup, garlic, and pepper well in a blender to create a marinade sauce. Pour the marinade over the tofu slices, and marinate for about 30 minutes. Turn occasionally to be sure they get a good soaking.
3. Crank up the grill on the lowest temperature you can get with the wood chips over the burners.
4. Once the grill is heated to 200-250 degrees F, lay the tofu on the grill and cover. Turn the slices very often so they do not char, and cook slowly so that it primarily gets smoked, not heavily grilled.
5. In a mixing bowl, or the same flat pan as the tofu was soaked, stir the onions and mushrooms with the remaining marinade sauce. In a grilling pan with holes in the bottom, cook the mushrooms and onions on the grill until they are tender.
6. Blend all dressing ingredients in a blender. Slice the tofu in 1/2-inch strips, and serve with the grilled onions, mushrooms, and the dressing.
Share this content!
As seen in:
Reference: Smoked tofu with grilled onions and mushrooms with cilantro lemon dressing recipe
Recipe type: xarchivex
Find more recipes on thesmartcookiecook.com or see our latest posts.