Rick’s chicken makhani recipe
Rick’s Chicken Makhani
⚠ Note: for metric to imperial (or vice-versa) conversion please refer to our article on Cooking Measurements 101.
♼ Featured image is generic and does not represent the final look of a dish.
This is my crazy Indian butter chicken dish. I was trying to make it resemble the kind that is found in Indian restaurants, but mine might be better. Enjoy.
Ready in: 2 hours 5 mins
- 1 tablespoon whole cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds
- 4 chicken thighs, skin on and bone in
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, sliced thin
- 1 hunk of ginger, minced
- 4 garlic gloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup butter
Prep: 5 mins | Cook: 2 hours
1. Toast cumin and coriander seeds in a dry pan until aromatic. Transfer to a coffee grinder and grind until very fine.
2. Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a large saute pan, heat the vegetable oil. Once hot put the chicken thighs in skin side down first until brown. Flip and brown the other side. Remove from pan. Take skin off.
3. Add onions to pan. Let saute until dark brown. Make sure you scape the food from the bottom of the pan. Add ginger and garlic. After 30 seconds add all the spices and let toast for 2 minutes.
4. Add chicken back in and coat it in the spices. Add the crushed tomatoes and water. Let simmer for 2 hours.
5. Stir in butter and yogurt at the end.
Reference: Rick’s chicken makhani recipe
Recipe type: xarchivex
Find more recipes on thesmartcookiecook.com or see our latest posts.