Red wine beef stew for the slow cooker recipe
Red Wine Beef Stew for the Slow Cooker
⚠ Note: for metric to imperial (or vice-versa) conversion please refer to our article on Cooking Measurements 101.
♼ Featured image is generic and may not represent the (final) appearance of a dish.
♼ Recipe origin is unknown.
Add a little sophistication to your slow cooker stew when you flavor it with red wine. You’ll have plenty left over to serve with the meal.
Ready in: 8 hours 20 mins
- 1/4 cup flour
- Salt and pepper
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup red wine
- 4 potatoes, cubed
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 8 hours
1. In a shallow pie pan, season the flour with salt and pepper. Dredge stew meat in flour mixture. Heat vegetable oil in skillet over medium heat and cook the beef in the hot oil until browned on all sides, about 6 minutes per batch. Remove beef from pan.
2. Saute onions and garlic in the skillet until translucent, about 8 minutes. Return the beef to the skillet and mix.
3. Layer the potatoes and carrots in the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker. Cover with beef mixture, stock and wine. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours, adding peas when there’s just 30 minutes left of cooking time.Alternate Method
Cook stew on HIGH for 4 hours.
To thicken the stew, combine 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of cold water in a small bowl. Slowly stir cornstarch mixture into stew with slow cooker set to HIGH, then repeat until desired thickness is reached.
Reference: Red wine beef stew for the slow cooker recipe
Recipe type: xarchivex
Find more recipes on thesmartcookiecook.com or see our latest posts.