Pastry turnovers with butternut squash, leeks, and thyme
Pastry Turnovers with Butternut Squash, Leeks, and
- Recipe of cream cheese pastry dough
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons light olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (3 cups)
- salt and pepper
- thyme sprigs (a few)
- 2 large leeks, white parts only, cut in half lengthwise, thinly sliced, & washed (3 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 2 ounces Gruyere, grated (about 3/4 cup)
Make pastry dough. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine 2 cloves of chopped garlic with 1 Tablespoon of the oil. Place the cubed squash in a baking dish and toss with the garlic oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and a few pinches of pepper. Add thyme sprigs, cover, and bake until the squash is tender but still holds its shape, 25 to 30 minutes. Do not overcook. Remove the thyme sprigs.
Heat the remaining tablespoons of oil in a large skillet; add the leeks, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and a few pinches of pepper, and add the dried thyme. Saute over medium heat for about 2 minutes, until the leeks begin to soften. Add the remaining garlic and cover the pan, allowing the leeks to steam. When tender, after about 8 minutes, add the wine and cook until the pan is nearly dry.
Gently toss the squash and leeks together with the fresh thyme. Season with salt and pepper to taste. The filling should be well seasoned.
Tags: recipe, Pastry turnovers with butternut squash, leeks, and thyme, cooking, diy