Mixed greens with gorgonzola, walnuts, and red pear
Mixed Greens with Gorgonzola, Walnuts, and Red Pear recipe
- 8 handfuls of mixed greens
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 to 5 ounces crumbled Gorgonzola cheese at room temperature
- 1 red pear, slivered
- 1 cup toasted walnuts (approximately 1/8 cup per person)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 to 7 Tablespoons virgin or extra virgin olive oil
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons raspberry vinegar (use raspberry vinegar with a fairly intense raspberry flavor)
- Fresh raspberries for garnish (if available)
To toast walnuts, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Toast walnuts by placing them on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake for 5 to 8 minutes until fragrant. Stir nuts a few times during baking and watch to make sure they do not burn.
Select a variety greens with different tastes, textures, and colors (use mostly lettuces, but include chicory, and other greens such as arugula, lambs lettuce, or wild greens depending on the season). Wash and then dry in salad spinner. Tear greens into bite-size pieces and place in salad bowl, then add sliced red onion. Grind pepper over salad and toss. Toss salad with oil and follow with vinegar, toss again. Place equal amount of salad on salad plates. Top each salad with slivered pear, Gorgonzola, warm walnuts, and a few fresh raspberries.
Tags: recipe, Mixed greens with gorgonzola, walnuts, and red pear, cooking, diy