Pizza with mozzarella prosciutto and baby arugula recipe
Pizza with Mozzarella, Prosciutto, and Baby Arugula
⚠ Note: for metric to imperial (or vice-versa) conversion please refer to our article on Cooking Measurements 101.
♼ Featured image is generic and may not represent the (final) appearance of a dish.
♼ Recipe origin is unknown.
From Things Cooks Love by Sur La Table with Marie Simmons/Andrews McMeel Publishing. Pizza topped with milky sweet mozzarella, paper-thin slices of prosciutto, and tender, pepper arugula leaves is a favorite in the pizzerias of Naples. This one instead includes a scattering of red onion slices and a shower of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, too.
Ready in: 38 mins
- Prepared pizza dough recipe
- Unbleached all-purpose unbleached flour, for dusting
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced and patted dry with paper towels
- 1 1/3 cups thin half slices red onion
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups lightly packed baby arugula leaves, rinsed and dried
- Wedge of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, for grating
- 6 to 8 thin slices prosciutto
Prep: 30 mins | Cook: 8 mins
1. Generously dust a pizza peel or a rimless sheet pan (cookie sheet) with flour. On a lightly floured work surface, and with floured hands, pat out 1 ball of the dough, stretching gently and turning, into a round about 10 inches in diameter and ¼ inch thick, leaving the edges of the round slightly thicker. Gently slide the peel under the round of dough.
2. Arrange about one-fourth of the mozzarella slices on the dough round. Evenly spread about ¹⁄3 cup of the onion slices over the cheese. Add a grinding of black pepper and drizzle with 1½ teaspoons of the olive oil.
3. Open the oven door. Guide the peel onto the pizza stone, tilting the peel and gently shaking it so the pizza slowly slides off the peel and onto the center of the preheated stone. Close the oven door and bake the pizza for 6 to 8 minutes, until the crust is browned and crisp.
4. When the pizza is ready, open the oven door, carefully slide the peel under the pizza, retrieve the pizza from the oven, and slide it onto a cutting board. Top the pizza with 1 cup of the arugula leaves and grate about 1 tablespoon of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese over the top. Arrange 1 or 1½ slices of prosciutto, torn into strips, on top of the arugula. Cut the pizza into wedges using a pizza wheel or kitchen scissors to serve.
5. Repeat steps 2, 3, 4, and 5 with the remaining dough and topping ingredients. Pizzas can be served as they are ready or all at once. If you have a second oven, you can keep the pizzas warm on baking sheets at 250°F until you are ready to serve them all at once.
Reference: Pizza with mozzarella prosciutto and baby arugula recipe
Recipe type: xarchivex
Find more recipes on thesmartcookiecook.com or see our latest posts.