Chicken gumbo recipe
Chicken GumboThis article was published by: Matthew
⚠ Note: for metric to imperial (or vice-versa) conversion please refer to our article on Cooking Measurements 101.
♼ Featured image is generic and may not represent the (final) appearance of a dish.
♼ Recipe origin is unknown.
Here’s a wonderful and easy recipe for chicken gumbo. I’ve combined the best of ingredients from other gumbo recipes and have come up with this version.
Ready in: 1 hour 30 mins
- 1/2 cup olive oil or peanut oil
- 3/4 cups flour
- 2 cups onion, diced
- 3 ribs celery, diced
- 2 green pepper, diced
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen okra, thawed and sliced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large can (48 ounce) chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1/2 cup uncooked rice
- 3 chicken breasts (cut in bite-size pieces)
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
Preparation methodPrep: 15 mins | Cook: 1 hour 15 mins
1. In two-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium high heat. Once oil is hot, gradually add flour and using a wire whisk, stir constantly until the color of the roux is peanut butter brown or darker. The darker the roux the “nuttier” the flavor. Note: To avoid burning/scorching the roux, maintain low heat and stir constantly! If black specks appear in the roux, it’s burnt; discard and begin again. At low heat, it may take up to forty-five minutes to prepare the roux.
2. When the roux is prepared, reduce the heat and add onion, celery, green pepper, okra, carrot and garlic. Sauté approximately five minutes or until vegetables are wilted.
3. Add chicken broth, one ladle at a time, stirring constantly until all of the liquid is incorporated into the roux.
4. Add water, tomatoes and hot sauce. Stir in rice
5. Add chicken pieces and seasonings.
6. Return to medium high heat, bring to a low boil and simmer for thirty minutes.
7. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
8. Cook an additional five minutes.
Reference: Chicken gumbo recipe
Recipe type: xarchivex
Find more recipes on thesmartcookiecook.com or see our latest posts.
(Visited 20 times, 1 visits today)