⚠ Note: for metric to imperial (or vice-versa) conversion please refer to our article on Cooking Measurements 101.
♼ Featured image is generic and may not represent the (final) appearance of a dish.
♼ Recipe origin is unknown.
This dish is served near the beach in Baja California and can be found in most seafood Mexican restaurants in So. Cal. It’s a fresh, healthy seafood cocktail that is great for lunch or appetizers on hot days. Ingredients can and should be modified to what you prefer!
Ready in: 1 hour 30 mins
- 1/2 cup scallions chopped with some green
- 3 limes, halved & juiced
- 1 lime quartered
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced 1/4″ cubes
- 2 small tomatoes, seeded and diced small
- Half a jalapeno, seeded and diced very small (if you like heat, use the entire jalapeno)
- 1 avocado de-seeded, deshelled and cubed.
- -Seafood–(Shrimp is a must, but all others are optional!)
- 18-12 pre-cooked medium shrimp
- 1 can (8 ounce) oysters in water, drained and rinsed
- 6 ounce. imitation crab meat (real crab meat tends to become stringy)
- 1 (8 ounce) can Sol-Mex(R) Seafood Cocktail (if you can’t find this, then there are mussels, clams, octopus, squid and shrimp)
- 6 ounce. Scallops
- 2 cups Clamato (or v8 juice)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Tapatio hot sauce for flavor
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
Prep: 1 hour 30 mins
1. In a large non-reactive bowl add the scallions, the juice of one lime and a pinch of salt and pepper. Let it stand for 10 minutes. Add the rest of the veggies and tomato sauce and stir. Add another lime (juice), all the seafood and the tomato juice.
2. Then squeeze in the juice of two more limes and add a generous pinch of salt and pepper.
3. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours. (This is like Ceviche where the the acidity from the lime juice reacts with the seafood.)
4. Stir in the Cilantro a few minutes before serving. Serve in margarita glasses garnished with a lime slice.
Reference: Campechana recipe
Recipe type: xarchivex
Find more recipes on thesmartcookiecook.com or see our latest posts.