Basic fried bananas recipe
Basic Fried Bananas
⚠ Note: for metric to imperial (or vice-versa) conversion please refer to our article on Cooking Measurements 101.
♼ Featured image is generic and does not represent the final look of a dish.
This is the basic Chinese recipe for battered and deep fried bananas. The recipe is easy and results in a delicious dessert. I recommend that you try a variety of fruits in addition to bananas because they also turn out nice. If you like you can serve it without the caramel. The batter can be made with rice flour if you don’t have potato flour.
Ready in: 35 mins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup potato flour
- 4 medium bananas
- 2 cups water
- oil for frying
- 1/2 cup sugar
- sesame seeds (optional)
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 25 mins
1. Mix the all-purpose flour and the potato flour together in a large bowl. add in the water. Mix until you get a smooth, dippable paste. If it’s too liquidy, add more flour, if it’s too thick, add some more water.
2. Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
3. Slice the bananas into 1/2 inch thick slices and drop them into the paste so that the dough covers all the bananas.
4. Test if oil is hot enough by carfully droping a bit of batter into the oil. If the batter floats and fuzzes then the oil is ready; if it sinks, then it isn’t ready and should be left a bit longer. When oil is hot enough, take several bannanas (6) and carefully, with out splashing, lower them into the oil. Let them fry until they are golden brown – this takes about a minute. Carefully remove the bananas and put them on a plate. Repeat with all the bananas.
5. To make caramel melt the sugar in a small pan with four tablespoons of water and stir until the mixture turns a light caramel colour. If you don’t want a hard caramel outside and if you don’t want to wait till the bananas cool then simply add 2 or 3 more tablespoons of water to the caramel sauce. With the help of a long wooden skewer, pick up the bananas and dip into the hot caramel sauce.
6. Put them on a rack to cool. While cooling you can sprinkle sesame seeds.
Tags: recipe, Basic fried bananas recipe, diy, how to cook, prepare Basic fried bananas recipe
Recipe type: xarchivex
Find more recipes on thesmartcookiecook.com