Barb’s cranberry nut bread
Barb’s Cranberry Nut Bread recipe
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1 teaspoon, grated orange peel
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Sift dry ingredients into large bowl. Cut in shortening. Combine orange juice, egg, and grated peel, and add to dry ingredients, mixing just to moisten. Fold in berries and nuts. Turn into prepared pan and bake until tester inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 hour (approximately 35 minutes for the small loaves). Cool on wire rack before removing from pan. Wrap and store overnight to develop flavors before slicing.
Makes one 9 x 5-inch loaf of 4 small loaves.
Tags: recipe, Barb’s cranberry nut bread, cooking, diy