Where the buffalo roam meatloaf recipe
Where the Buffalo Roam MeatloafThis article was published by: Matthew
⚠ Note: for metric to imperial (or vice-versa) conversion please refer to our article on Cooking Measurements 101.
♼ Featured image is generic and may not represent the (final) appearance of a dish.
♼ Recipe origin is unknown.
This is my favorite recipe for fall or winter when I’m thinking of my western home. This buffalo and pork meatloaf with mouth watering salsa seems to smell almost as good when it’s baking as the hot apple pie that will follow! Yum!
Ready in: 1 hour 25 mins
- 1 (16 ounce) jar your favorite chunky salsa
- 1 pound ground buffalo
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 extra large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup bread crumbs or crushed croutons
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
Preparation methodPrep: 10 mins | Cook: 45 mins | Extra time: 30 mins, chilling
1. Drain the salsa in a strainer for 10 minutes. Too much liquid in the meatloaf is NOT good! Pour the salsa into a mixing bowl, and add the buffalo, pork, eggs, and bread crumbs. Mix with your hands until thoroughly blended. Cover, and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
3. Pack the meatloaf into a 9×5-inch meatloaf pan (the newer drip-style pans work best). Press the mixture into pan to eliminate air pockets, form a rounded top, and make a slit down the middle, approximately 1/2-inch deep. Sprinkle with the ground black pepper.
4. Bake in the preheated oven to an internal temperature of 160 to 165 degrees F, 45 minutes to an hour depending on your oven. It is advisable to drain off the liquid after baking 45 minutes. Let the meatloaf stand about 15 minutes before slicing and serving.Serving suggestion
This is paired very well with good ‘ol mom’s chunky-style mashed potatoes, asparagus or green beans, and lots more chunky salsa on the meatloaf!
Reference: Where the buffalo roam meatloaf recipe
Recipe type: xarchivex
Find more recipes on thesmartcookiecook.com or see our latest posts.
(Visited 18 times, 1 visits today)