The lewis family boeuf bourguignon beef burgundy recipe
The Lewis Family Boeuf Bourguignon (Beef Burgundy) recipe⚠ Note: for metric to imperial (or vice-versa) conversion please refer to our article on Cooking Measurements 101.
♼ Featured image is generic and does not represent the final look of a dish.
- 3 pounds lean chuck fillet, cut in 1-inch cubes and dried on paper towels
- 10 cloves garlic, sliced (5 or 6 slices per clove)
- 4 cups Burgundy wine (more if needed; I use a reasonably good, but not overly expensive, wine)
- 2 bunches of fresh rosemary, lightly pounded
- 2 medium sprigs of thyme
- 6 slices thick bacon, diced
- 2 Tablespoons butter (more if needed)
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (more if needed)
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 to 2 cups beef stock
- 1-1/2 pounds small 1/2- to 3/4-inch mushrooms with stems trimmed
- 12 small white pearl onions
- 12 small red pearl onions
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a large bowl, place beef cubes, garlic, rosemary, and thyme and cover with wine; refrigerate overnight. Remove the beef cubes from the marinade, squeeze the beef cubes to remove as much of the marinade as possible, and air dry for at least 2 hours while reserving the marinade.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a heavy skillet, heat butter and olive oil. Cook the bacon until lightly browned and remove with slotted spoon to a heavy, lidded casserole. In the same skillet, brown the beef a few pieces at a time on all sides, adding more olive oil if necessary. As the beef cubes are done, remove to the casserole. Turn heat on very low under casserole.
Sprinkle flour on the beef cubes, toss gently, and cook until flour is absorbed. Place the casserole, uncovered, in the oven and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, then toss meat and cook 5 minutes more to totally sear the meat. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees. Return the casserole to the top of the stove and pour in the reserved wine marinade, salt, pepper, bay leaves, and half the beef stock and bring to a simmer; cover. Place covered casserole in oven and cook for 1-1/2 to 2 hour or until meat is almost tender. Check frequently to make sure the liquid has not boiled away. Add more burgundy and beef stock as necessary.
Peel the pearl onions and make a small “X” in the root end to eliminate separation. Clean and dry the small mushrooms, keeping the trimmed stems in place. Lightly saute the onions and mushrooms together in butter; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add the onions and mushrooms to the stew and cook 1/2 to 3/4 hour longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. Check frequently to make sure that the liquid has not boiled away. Add more burgundy and beef stock as necessary.
Serve in large bowls accompanied with fresh hot French bread.
Tags: recipe, The lewis family boeuf bourguignon beef burgundy recipe, diy, how to cook, prepare The lewis family boeuf bourguignon beef burgundy recipe Recipe type: xarchivexFind more recipes on thesmartcookiecook.com