Steak and caramelized onion casserole recipe
Steak and Caramelized Onion Casserole
⚠ Note: for metric to imperial (or vice-versa) conversion please refer to our article on Cooking Measurements 101.
♼ Featured image is generic and does not represent the final look of a dish.
This hearty beef casserole will leave you patting your stomach with delight. Steak, bread, cheese, onions…make this a weekly feast.
Ready in: 2 hours 20 mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 pounds beef sirloin tip roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 large sweet yellow onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2/3 cup flour
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans condensed beef consomme
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 8 (1/2-inch thick) slices French bread, toasted
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Prep: 45 mins | Cook: 1 hour 35 mins
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and coat a 13×9-inch baking dish.
2. Pour oil into a skillet set over medium heat. Add beef to the pan, seasoning it with salt and pepper, and sear the beef in hot oil until browned. Pour off excess liquid and pour beef into prepared baking dish.
3. Melt butter in the skillet over medium-low heat. Stir in the onions and cook, stirring often, until browned. This will take about 25 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
4. Sprinkle onions with flour and stir in the consomme, broth, Worcestershire, and bay leaves. Continue to cook until liquids come to a boil, then simmer for 1 to 2 minutes until thickened.
5. Pour the thickened onion sauce into the baking dish over the beef cubes. Cover with foil.
6. Bake for 1 hour. Remove foil and bay leaves; add cream. Bake for 30 more minutes to finish cooking the beef.
7. Top casserole with toast and distribute cheese evenly over the top. Return to the oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Tags: recipe, Steak and caramelized onion casserole recipe, diy, how to cook, prepare Steak and caramelized onion casserole recipe
Recipe type: xarchivex
Find more recipes on thesmartcookiecook.com