Smoky slow cooked beer brat chili recipe
Smoky Slow-Cooked Beer Brat ChiliThis article was published by: Matthew
⚠ Note: for metric to imperial (or vice-versa) conversion please refer to our article on Cooking Measurements 101.
♼ Featured image is generic and may not represent the (final) appearance of a dish.
♼ Recipe origin is unknown.
This chunky chili uses beer brats for a meaty texture and has a slightly sweet taste backed by a good slow spicy kick.
Ready in: 9 hours
- 2 dried chipotle peppers
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound beer brats
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 serrano peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 anaheim pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 jar sliced jalapenos
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas (suggested: Glory slightly seasoned)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can tomatoes and okra
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 9 ounces tomato paste
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons chipotle chili powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon sage
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cilantro
- 1 teaspoon tarragon
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Preparation methodPrep: 1 hour | Cook: 8 hours
1. Reconstitute dried chipotle chilis by lightly roasting, about 1 minute on each side, in small skillet over medium-high heat, then placing in a bowl of very hot water for 20 to 30 minutes.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and stir in the ground beef. Cook and stir until the beef is crumbly, evenly browned, and no longer pink. Drain and discard any excess grease. Place the cooked beef in a large slow cooker/crockpot.
3. Cut brats into half-inch slices, then cut slices in half. Heat on medium high until lightly browned. Drain and place in slow cooker.
4. Remove ribs, stems, and seeds from reconstituted chipotles and cut into thin strips. Place in blender with 1/2 cup coffee and blend until finely chopped. Strain coffee-chipotle liquid through a fine mesh sieve into the slow cooker.
5. Add the peppers, beans, okra, tomato sauce, tomato paste, beef broth, chipotle chili powder, onion powder, sage, basil, ground cumin, cayenne pepper, black pepper, cilantro, and tarragon to slow cooker. Stir well and cook on low for 8 hours.
6. Before serving stir in brown sugar, cinnamon, and Worcestershire sauce.
Reference: Smoky slow cooked beer brat chili recipe
Recipe type: xarchivex
Find more recipes on thesmartcookiecook.com or see our latest posts.
(Visited 44 times, 1 visits today)