Simple hungarian stew recipe
Simple Hungarian Stew
⚠ Note: for metric to imperial (or vice-versa) conversion please refer to our article on Cooking Measurements 101.
♼ Featured image is generic and may not represent the (final) appearance of a dish.
♼ Recipe origin is unknown.
Simple food that warms the heart. This is extreme comfort food. This is a recipe that is over 150 years old from my great-great-grandmother. Beef and sauce, slow cooked and mixed in with a little love. You won’t regret making this. Try serving over noodles.
Ready in: 3 hours 15 mins
- 4 pounds eye roast, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 roasted red peppers (home roasted is better)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1/3 cup sweet paprika
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 large yellow onions, sliced
- 6 carrots, peeled and cut into sticks or rounds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cup beef broth
- Sour cream to taste (garnish)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 3 hours
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Lightly salt beef and place in Dutch oven.
3. In food processor or blender, pulse peppers, tomato paste, vinegar, and paprika until smooth.
4. Heat butter in skillet over medium-high heat until very hot; add onions and cook stirring occasionally until onions turn brown, about 10 minutes.
5. Stir in blended pepper mix, then add the onions and peppers to the Dutch oven with the beef. Add carrots and bay leaf.
6. Cover and bake on middle rack for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, until meat is tender.
7. Add beef broth, more salt to taste, and put back in the oven for 30-45 minutes. Skim off fat and serve, garnishing with sour cream if desired.
Reference: Simple hungarian stew recipe
Recipe type: xarchivex
Find more recipes on thesmartcookiecook.com or see our latest posts.