Simple boiled pot roast with gravy recipe
Simple Boiled Pot Roast with Gravy
⚠ Note: for metric to imperial (or vice-versa) conversion please refer to our article on Cooking Measurements 101.
♼ Featured image is generic and may not represent the (final) appearance of a dish.
♼ Recipe origin is unknown.
Pot roast that stays on the stove, cooking in flavorful broth of familiar spices and veggies.
Ready in: 3 hours 15 mins
- 1 (3 pound) boneless beef sirloin tip roast
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 small head cabbage, cut into wedges
- 4 potatoes, quartered
- 2 onions, cut into wedges
- 3 carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 3 hours
1. Heat canola oil in a Dutch oven or large, deep skillet over medium heat. Put in the roast and get it nice and brown on all sides.
2. Pour off excess liquid, then add broth, vinegar, garlic, basil, and thyme. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 2 hours, flipping the roast every 40 minutes or so.
3. After 2 hours, add the cabbage, potatoes, onions, carrots, and red bell pepper. Season with the salt and pepper, then cook on low to simmer for 40 more minutes.
4. Remove meat and vegetables from Dutch oven and keep warm. In a small bowl, whisk together flour and water. Then stir into the Dutch oven. With the heat still on low, bring the sauce to a boil and simmer until thickened. Add more of the mixture if you want thicker sauce.
5. Serve roast sliced with gravy spooned over each serving of meat and vegetables.
Reference: Simple boiled pot roast with gravy recipe
Recipe type: xarchivex
Find more recipes on thesmartcookiecook.com or see our latest posts.