Shrimp and corn chowder recipe
Shrimp and Corn Chowder recipe
⚠ Note: for metric to imperial (or vice-versa) conversion please refer to our article on Cooking Measurements 101.
♼ Featured image is generic and may not represent the (final) appearance of a dish.
♼ Recipe origin is unknown.
- 1 to 1-1/2 pounds large shrimp (16 to 20 count) — peeled, deveined, and tail on
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
- 3 cups fresh (or frozen and thawed) whole kernels of corn
- 1-1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream or half & half
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, small dice
- 1/3 cup yellow onion, small dice
- 1/4 cup celery, small dice
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Tablespoon chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 corn tortillas, thinly sliced and fried crisp
- Small bunch cilantro leaves for garnish
- Tabascohot pepper sauce to taste
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Old Bay seasoning
A signature dish from “The Bear.”
In a small bowl, combine raw shrimp, olive oil, and garlic. Marinate 1/2 to 1 hour. Grill shrimp (don’t overcook). Put 8 whole grilled shrimp aside for garnish. Remove tails from the remaining grilled shrimp and chop into large chunks. Keep warm.
In blender, combine half of the corn and chicken stock. Blend until smooth. In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in a tablespoon of butter until soft. Add the finely chopped jalapeno pepper and stir until warm. Add blended corn and stock mixture and the remaining corn. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in red bell pepper and chopped cilantro. Season to taste with hot pepper sauce, salt, and pepper.
Serving: Divide chopped grilled shrimp equally among 8 serving bowls. Add heavy cream or half & half to hot chowder and stir; bring to a simmer, but do not boil. Ladle hot chowder into serving bowls, then garnish each serving with fried tortilla crisps and one whole grilled shrimp. Sprinkle lightly with Old Bay seasoning. Top chips with a whole cilantro leaf.
Makes: eight 6-ounce servings
Reference: Shrimp and corn chowder recipe
Recipe type: xarchivex
Find more recipes on thesmartcookiecook.com or see our latest posts.