Seafood chilaquiles casserole recipe
Seafood Chilaquiles Casserole
⚠ Note: for metric to imperial (or vice-versa) conversion please refer to our article on Cooking Measurements 101.
♼ Featured image is generic and may not represent the (final) appearance of a dish.
♼ Recipe origin is unknown.
A heavenly seafood casserole from ‘south of the border.’
Ready in: 40 mins
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 10 flour or corn tortillas, sliced into 1-inch strips
- 1/2 cup green onions with tops, sliced
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter
- 2 tablespoons unbleached flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- pinch of cumin
- 2 cups half and half cream
- 1 chipotle chile, chopped
- 1 pound bay scallops or jumbo scallops, quartered
- 1 pound medium raw shrimp, shelled
- 4 slices bacon, fried crisp and crumbled
- 1 cup of grated Monterrey Jack cheese, or to taste
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 20 mins
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
2. Heat oil in a 10-inch skillet until hot. Cook tortilla strips in the hot oil until they are light golden brown, about 30 to 60 seconds; drain on paper towels and set aside.
3. Cook onions in margarine in a 3-quart sauce pan over low heat until tender, then stir in the flour, salt, pepper, and cumin.
4. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is bubbly. Remove from heat; stir in half and half. Return to the heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil and stir for 1 minute, then reduce the heat to low.
5. Stir in the chipotle chile, scallops, and shrimp. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, just until the shrimp are pink, about 9 minutes.
6. Layer half of the tortilla strips in the bottom of a greased 3-quart casserole or large heavy ovenproof skillet; top with half of the seafood mixture. Repeat with the remaining tortilla strips and seafood mixture. Top with the bacon.
7. Bake in the preheated oven until hot, 15 to 20 minutes. Top with cheese and return it to the oven until the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
Reference: Seafood chilaquiles casserole recipe
Recipe type: xarchivex
Find more recipes on thesmartcookiecook.com or see our latest posts.