Orange glazed prune muffins
Orange-Glazed Prune Muffins recipe
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup coarsely mashed, cooked, pitted prunes (about 20)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Orange Glaze:
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 Tablespoons grated orange zest
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Combine the oil, sugar, eggs and buttermilk in a large bowl and beat until well blended. In a separate bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. Add to the liquid mixture, stirring just enough to blend well. Stir in the prunes and nuts.
Fill greased muffin tins about 3/4 full and bake until the tops are browned and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine the powdered sugar, orange juice and zest for the glaze. Reserve.
Remove the muffins from their tins and turn out onto a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes. While still warm, brush the tops with the reserved glaze.
Tags: recipe, Orange glazed prune muffins, cooking, diy