Old fashioned chocolate pie recipe
Old Fashioned Chocolate Pie
⚠ Note: for metric to imperial (or vice-versa) conversion please refer to our article on Cooking Measurements 101.
♼ Featured image is generic and does not represent the final look of a dish.
Old fashioned chocolate pie, a family favorite for over fifty years.
Ready in: 1 hour 30 mins
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup + 9 tablespoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 squares unsweetened baking chocolate
- 2 cups milk
- 3 eggs, separated, yolks slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 8-inch pie crust, pre-baked
Prep: 1 hour 15 mins | Cook: 15 mins
1. In the top of a double boiler combine flour, 1/2 cup of sugar, salt, and broken up chocolate squares, heat until chocolate melts, stirring constantly until uniformly mixed into the dry ingredients.
2. Blend in milk gradually to assure a smooth mixture. Cook over boiling water until mixture thickens, stirring constantly. Blend several spoonfuls of the hot filling into the three slightly beaten egg yolks to temper, then add back into the hot mixture. Cook 2 minutes longer stirring constantly. Remove for heat, stir in vanilla and butter until blended.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
4. Prepare meringue while the filling cools by beating egg whites and vinegar. Add sugar gradually and beat till mixture peaks.
5. Add cooled filling to cooled pre-baked pie crust. Top with meringue.
6. Brown in oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
Reference: Old fashioned chocolate pie recipe
Recipe type: xarchivex
Find more recipes on thesmartcookiecook.com or see our latest posts.