North african ostrich and turkey burgers recipe
North African Ostrich and Turkey BurgersThis article was published by: Matthew
Share this content!
⚠ Note: for metric to imperial (or vice-versa) conversion please refer to our article on Cooking Measurements 101.
♼ Featured image is generic and may not represent the (final) appearance of a dish.
♼ Recipe origin is unknown.
A huge discovery for me when I was stationed in Morocco, working for GREEK LINE: The use of ostrich and turkey meat was very much on the forefront of all restaurants where even restaurant chains, European or American, decided to add the bird meats to their menus in different applications. I decided to try, for the first time, to make a turkey-ostrich burger and, voila, everybody thought it was even better than the standard beef versions. Here it is!
Ready in: 27 mins
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1 (16 ounce) can canned (and drained) or cooked small white beans Cannellini or Navy beans or others OK)
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 egg white
- 1/3 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1/4 cup toasted panko (Japanese type toasted bread crumbs)
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground turkey or ostrich meat
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground toasted coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 cup packed feta cheese crumbs
- 6 toasted whole grain rolls
- Red leaf lettuce leaves, as needed
- Tin cucumber slices, as needed
Preparation methodPrep: 15 mins | Cook: 12 mins
1. For the white bean mayonnaise: in a food processor (or blender) fitted with a metal blade, drop garlic through feed tube with machine running. Scrape down sides, add cooked white beans, lemon juice and mayonnaise to work bowl. Process until smooth. Can be made ahead and kept refrigerated.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together egg white and milk to a light foam. Add crumbs, bird meat, cilantro, raisins, onion, coriander seeds, cumin and pepper flakes and turmeric.
3. Using your hands, gently mix together ingredients without over-handling meat. Shape into 6 equal sized patties to fit the rolls-size. Spray the grill rack with non-stick vegetable oil.
4. Preheat grill to Medium.
5. Grill patties for 10 to 12 minutes, turning once, until juices run clear. Press a spoonful of feta cheese crumbs on top of each patty for the last 2-3 minutes of cooking; cover the grill until cheese is melted.
6. Just before the burgers are finished cooking, add the buns, split and open faced, to the edges of the grill to be lightly toasted.
7. Spread cut side of toasted buns with white bean mayonnaise Top bottom half with lettuce leaves, the patty and top with cucumber slices and muffin top.
8. To garnish the burgers, use lettuce leaves with dollop white bean mayonnaise, cucumber slices and sprig of cilantro/parsley.Serving suggestion
Serve open-faced with patty on one bun half and the garnish on top half of bun/roll.
Share this content!
Reference: North african ostrich and turkey burgers recipe
Recipe type: xarchivex
Find more recipes on thesmartcookiecook.com or see our latest posts.