Kid approved macaroni and cheese recipe
“Kid-Approved” Macaroni and Cheese
⚠ Note: for metric to imperial (or vice-versa) conversion please refer to our article on Cooking Measurements 101.
♼ Featured image is generic and may not represent the (final) appearance of a dish.
♼ Recipe origin is unknown.
This makes a great side dish, but once the kids try it, it will become their main dish. The directions were made simple enough for a ten year old or a real beginner cook wanting to go beyond take-out or boxed dinners. Great for pot luck dinners too.
Ready in: 40 mins
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 8 ounces Velveeta(R) cheese, cubed
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 20 mins
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
2. Put cold milk in a medium sauce pan. Using a whisk, mix in flour. Make sure it is completely mixed. Put on medium heat. Add margarine or butter and salt. Add small pieces of cheese, stirring constantly, until all cheese is melted and sauce has started to thicken. Remove from heat. Set aside.
3. Fill a large pot about 3/4 full of water. Add macaroni to boiling water and boil until macaroni is soft.
4. Carefully drain water and put macaroni in an oven proof casserole dish. Warm up the sauce again so it is fluid and add to macaroni. Stir until completely mixed.
5. Bake, covered, in preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until heated through. Stir before serving.
Reference: Kid approved macaroni and cheese recipe
Recipe type: xarchivex
Find more recipes on thesmartcookiecook.com or see our latest posts.