Hearty sausage and rice casserole recipe
Hearty Sausage and Rice Casserole
⚠ Note: for metric to imperial (or vice-versa) conversion please refer to our article on Cooking Measurements 101.
♼ Featured image is generic and may not represent the (final) appearance of a dish.
♼ Recipe origin is unknown.
Come in from the cold and enjoy this flavorful sausage and rice casserole featuring Swanson(R) Chicken Broth, Campbell’s(R) Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup, savory vegetables and a cheesy topping.
Ready in: 1 hour 30 mins
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced mushrooms
- 2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 large red pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- 1 3/4 cups Swanson(R) Chicken Broth (regular, Natural Goodness(TM) or Certified Organic)
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can Campbell’s(R) Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup (Regular, 98% Fat Free or 25% Less Sodium)
- 1 (6 ounce) box long grain and wild rice mix
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Prep: 30 mins | Cook: 1 hour
1. Cook the sausage in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until the sausage is well browned, stirring often. Pour off any fat.
2. Add the mushrooms, celery, pepper, onion, thyme, marjoram and seasoning packet from the rice blend to the skillet and cook until the vegetables are tender-crisp.
3. Stir the sausage mixture, broth, soup, rice blend and 1/2 cup cheese in a 13x9x2-inch shallow baking dish. Cover the baking dish.
4. Bake at 375 degrees F for 1 hour or until the rice is tender. Stir the rice mixture before serving. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
For an extra-special touch, substitute 1 package (8 ounces) baby portobello mushrooms, sliced, for the sliced mushrooms.
Reference: Hearty sausage and rice casserole recipe
Recipe type: xarchivex
Find more recipes on thesmartcookiecook.com or see our latest posts.