Grilled porterhouse steak with mustard red onion marinade recipe
Grilled Porterhouse Steak with Mustard Red Onion Marinade
⚠ Note: for metric to imperial (or vice-versa) conversion please refer to our article on Cooking Measurements 101.
♼ Featured image is generic and may not represent the (final) appearance of a dish.
♼ Recipe origin is unknown.
Get a spicy, flavorful steak by combining a mustard bath with a basic spice rub. Inspired by madcow’s “Mean Mr. Mustard (Steak).”
Ready in: 1 hour 30 mins
Makes: 1 steak
- 1/2 cup stone-ground mustard
- 1 cup diced red onions
- 1 Porterhouse steak (or more)
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 15 mins | Extra time: 1 hour, marinating
1. Combine mustard and red onions. Coat both sides of steak with the sauce, reserving a small amount. Place in shallow dish, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour to marinate. Brush excess marinade off steaks.
2. Combine salt, pepper, garlic powder, coriander, and paprika to create a spice rub. Season steak liberally with mixture, about 1 teaspoon per side.
3. Heat your gas or charcoal grill to high (Here’s how to tell if it’s high: Hold your hand about four inches above the cooking surface. After 2 to 3 seconds, the heat will force you to pull your hand away.)
4. Oil the grill grate, using an oiled rag.
5. Place meat on the grill. Use these cooking times to cook your steak to medium: 2 to 3 minutes per side for a 1/2-inch thick steak, 4 to 6 minutes per side for a 1-inch thick steak, 6 to 9 minutes per side for a 1 1/2 to 2-inch thick steak.
6. Take the steak off the grill. Let it rest 2 to 3 minutes to allow the juices to reabsorb into the steak. Serve.Note
Recipe makes 1 1/2 cups marinade, enough for 3 pounds of steak, and 1/4 cup spice rub.
Reference: Grilled porterhouse steak with mustard red onion marinade recipe
Recipe type: xarchivex
Find more recipes on thesmartcookiecook.com or see our latest posts.