General tso’s chicken recipe
General Tso’s ChickenThis article was published by: Matthew
Share this content!
⚠ Note: for metric to imperial (or vice-versa) conversion please refer to our article on Cooking Measurements 101.
♼ Featured image may be generic and may not represent the (final) appearance of a dish.
Recipe introGeneral Tso's chicken is a popular Chinese-American dish known for its crispy texture and bold flavors. This recipe offers a homemade version of the beloved dish, allowing you to recreate the restaurant-style experience in the comfort of your own kitchen. The chicken is first marinated in a flavorful sauce, then coated in a light batter and deep-fried until golden brown. Finally, it is tossed in a tangy and slightly spicy sauce, resulting in a delicious balance of sweet and savory flavors.
Keywords: General Tso's chicken, Chinese-American dish, crispy texture, homemade version, tangy and spicy sauce.
General tso's chicken recipe details
Best chicken. This recipe makes enough for a big family dinner. Serve with rice.
Ready in: 50 mins
- 5 pounds chicken thighs, boned and cubed
- 1 (32 ounce) bottle vegetable oil
- 15 eggs, beaten
- 2 1/2 cups plus 10 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 10 tablespoons rice wine
- 1 cup sugar
- 25 dried chili pods
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds, optional
Preparation methodPrep: 15 mins | Cook: 35 mins
1. Whisk together 2 1/2 cups cornstarch and eggs in a shallow dish. Coat the chicken with the cornstarch mixture.
2. Heat the oil in a wok over medium heat or deep fryer set to Medium. Fry the coated chicken in the oil until golden brown and cooked through, about 5 minutes for each batch.
3. Let the fried chicken pieces drain on some paper towels.
4. Now make the sauce by combining 10 teaspoons cornstarch, soy sauce, rice vinegar, rice wine, and sugar in a mixing bowl.
5. Next, add some chili pods to a fresh wok with some additional oil and cook them on low heat to release their aroma, about 3 minutes.
6. Turn the heat onto high and add the fried chicken pieces. Allow them to reheat and crisp up, I like them very crispy. Make sure not to burn the chili pods. If they begin to then remove them.
7. Once crispy, add the sauce and cook & toss until it is thick and bubbly, about 10 minutes. If you like, sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Share this content!
As seen in:
Reference: General tso’s chicken recipe
Recipe type: xarchivex
Find more recipes on thesmartcookiecook.com or see our latest posts.
Visited 34 times, 1 visit(s) today