Garden vegetable tomato sauce recipe
Garden Vegetable Tomato Sauce
⚠ Note: for metric to imperial (or vice-versa) conversion please refer to our article on Cooking Measurements 101.
♼ Featured image is generic and may not represent the (final) appearance of a dish.
♼ Recipe origin is unknown.
This is a thick, mildly sweet sauce made with fresh garden vegetables. Serve with your favorite pasta, or use it in lasagna. This may sound like it takes a long time but it is well worth the effort. I get rave reviews from it all the time.
Ready in: 4 hours 10 mins
- 8 to 10 beefsteak tomatoes, peeled and cored
- 1 large zucchini, diced large
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced small
- 1 large Vidalia onion, minced
- 1/4 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 2 sticks celery, minced
- 10 button mushrooms, peeled and sliced thick
- 5 to 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 4 hours
1. Place peeled & cored tomatoes in big saucepot. Smash with “potato smasher” till chunky. Add the rest of the ingredients, everything but sugar.
2. Bring to bubble boil and place on low, stirring every 20 minutes, simmering for about 4-5 hours. It will be thick and chunky when it’s done.
3. Taste and if it’s not sweet enough, add the sugar. You won’t have to, probably, if you used the freshest ingredients!Hint
I sometimes do my own jarring or canning and hand this recipe out to my friends. Maybe this is a tradition you would enjoy also.
Reference: Garden vegetable tomato sauce recipe
Recipe type: xarchivex
Find more recipes on thesmartcookiecook.com or see our latest posts.