Dinner chowder recipe
⚠ Note: for metric to imperial (or vice-versa) conversion please refer to our article on Cooking Measurements 101.
♼ Featured image is generic and may not represent the (final) appearance of a dish.
♼ Recipe origin is unknown.
My mother-in-law (rest her soul) made this creamy vegetarian potato chowder. This recipe is adapted from hers and is great for when things are moving or you are on the go! Good old comfort food.
Ready in: 35 mins
- 2 large potatoes, diced
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour (whole grain works fine)
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoons mustard powder
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- Chopped parsley
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 25 mins
1. Combine the potatoes, onion, celery, pepper and stock in large saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Boil until tender (about 8 to 10 minutes).
2. Meanwhile, melt butter in a small saucepan. Add flour and stir constantly until bubbling. Add milk and stir until slightly thickened.
3. Add Worcestershire sauce, mustard powder and cheese; stir until melted, then incorporate into vegetable-stock mixture.
4. Add tomatoes and chopped parsley, then heat to serve.Ingredient Note
The type of cheese depends on personal preference (or whatever is on hand)so long as it not a very dry cheese as they tend to clump).
I have successfully added bacon and sauteed the vegetables instead of boiling and added seafood (clams, mussels, shrimp, scallops and firm white fish) for an amazing seafood chowder.
Reference: Dinner chowder recipe
Recipe type: xarchivex
Find more recipes on thesmartcookiecook.com or see our latest posts.