Deep fried finger steaks recipe
Deep-Fried Finger Steaks
⚠ Note: for metric to imperial (or vice-versa) conversion please refer to our article on Cooking Measurements 101.
♼ Featured image is generic and may not represent the (final) appearance of a dish.
♼ Recipe origin is unknown.
It’s simply a strip of steak that is battered and deep fried. Deep fried steak… Just sit there and let that marinate in your brain for a minute. Yeah, they’re way good!
Ready in: 4 hours 30 mins
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds flat iron steak (or top round)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons seasoned salt (or a salty BBQ rub)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup dark beer
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (I use Frank’s® Red Hot® or Crystal)
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 15 mins | Extra time: 4 hours, freezing
1. Note: If you’re using round steak, tenderize it with a meat mallet first.
2. Season each side of the steak with a teaspoon of the seasoned salt/BBQ rub.
3. Combine the flour, the remaining seasoned salt/BBQ rub, and pepper in a small bowl and mix well.
4. Combine the the buttermilk, beer, egg and hot sauce in another bowl and whisk to combine.
5. Cut the steak into half-inch wide strips that are about three or four inches long.
6. Dredge the steak strips in the flour mixture, then into the egg batter, then back into the flour.
7. Put the battered strips in a flat rimmed container pan and freeze for 4 hours or so. This really helps keep the batter intact when you fry them.
8. Deep fry the frozen steaks at 350º degrees until golden brown.
9. Serve with french fries (of course) and cocktail or BBQ sauce for dipping. Enjoy!Tip:
Fry in small batches (5-7 at a time) and keep them warm in a 175º oven on a rack in a sheet pan (as seen in the picture above).
Reference: Deep fried finger steaks recipe
Recipe type: xarchivex
Find more recipes on thesmartcookiecook.com or see our latest posts.