Crispy beer battered walleye with mango sweet and sour sauce recipe
Crispy Beer-Battered Walleye with Mango Sweet-and-Sour Sauce recipeThis article was published by: Matthew
Share this content!
⚠ Note: for metric to imperial (or vice-versa) conversion please refer to our article on Cooking Measurements 101.
♼ Featured image may be generic and may not represent the (final) appearance of a dish.
Recipe introIntroducing the mouthwatering recipe for Crispy Beer Battered Walleye with Mango Sweet and Sour Sauce! This delightful dish combines the crispy texture of beer-battered walleye with the tangy sweetness of mango in a delicious sweet and sour sauce. The walleye fillets are coated in a light and crispy beer batter, creating a perfect golden crust when fried to perfection. Served with the zesty mango sweet and sour sauce, this recipe is a delightful fusion of flavors that will surely impress your taste buds.
Keywords: Crispy, Beer Battered, Walleye, Mango, Sweet and Sour Sauce.
Crispy beer battered walleye with mango sweet and sour sauce recipe details
- Flour for dredging walleye before battering
- Six 8- to 10-ounce boneless, skinless walleye salmon fillets, whole or cut into finger-sized strips
- Oil for deep frying
- Sweet and sour sauce:
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1-1/2 cup rice-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chili paste with garlic
- 2 Tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch and 4 Tablespoons water mixed together
- 1/2 red pepper, finely diced (or a combination of colored sweet peppers)
- 4 green onions, green part only, finely sliced on the diagonal
- 1/2 mango, cut into 1/4-inch dice (other fruits such as fresh peaches, raspberries, wild blueberries, strawberries, or a combination of fruits may be substituted)
- Beer batter:
- 2-1/2 cups flour
- 3 Tablespoons paprika
- 2 Tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon black pepper
- Two to three 12-ounce cans of beer
This is one of (Ron) Berg’s (executive chef at Gunflint Lodge) favorite ways of serving Walleye, and is very popular at the Lodge. There will be extra batter with this recipe.
Sweet and sour sauce: Combine sugar, garlic, rice-wine vinegar, chili paste, and fish sauce in a heavy-bottom saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes until reduced and flavor is developed. Add cornstarch mixture and continue to cook until thickened. Put through sieve, prepare garnishes, and refrigerate until needed.
Beer batter: Whisk flour, paprika, salt, and pepper together until well combined. Whisk in beer to make a thin batter, not much thicker than buttermilk or heavy cream. Dredge walleye in flour and shake off excess. Dip into beer batter and deep fry in oil at 360 degrees until golden brown and crisp. Remove and drain. (Note: it is very important to hold the heat level during cooking. Using a heavy-weight frying pan will help keep the oil temperature from dropping after the fish is first put in the oil.)
Cover the bottom of 6 heated plates with 1/8 cup or more of the sauce mixed with 1 to 2 Tablespoons of the chopped mango. Sprinkle the red peppers and green onions over the sauce. Place the walleye on top and serve.Serves: 6
Share this content!
As seen in:
Reference: Crispy beer battered walleye with mango sweet and sour sauce recipe
Recipe type: xarchivex
Find more recipes on thesmartcookiecook.com or see our latest posts.