Chicken poblano chowder recipe
Chicken Poblano Chowder
⚠ Note: for metric to imperial (or vice-versa) conversion please refer to our article on Cooking Measurements 101.
♼ Featured image is generic and may not represent the (final) appearance of a dish.
♼ Recipe origin is unknown.
A thick chicken soup gets a spice boost from poblano peppers.
Ready in: 50 mins
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 large carrots, peeled and diced in 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 large onions, peeled and diced in 1/4-inch pieces
- 5 stalks celery, trimmed and sliced in 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 small poblano peppers, stemmed, seeded, and diced in 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 2 tablespoons granulated chicken base
- 3 quarts chicken broth
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, minced
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups diced grilled chicken breast
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 30 mins
1. Heat oil in large stockpot over medium heat. Add the next ten ingredients. Cook 8 minutes until vegetables begin to soften.
2. Stir in chicken base powder. Then add the chicken broth and cilantro, and cook until carrots are tender, about 10 minutes.
3. Now make a roux: Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Slowly add flour and stir to combine. Cook, whisking constantly, 3 to 4 minutes to cook flour. Do not allow roux to brown.
4. Add 1 to 2 cups hot liquid from soup to the roux, whisking continuously to incorporate.
5. Pour thickened sauce back into stockpot, whisking to blend. Stirring frequently, cook 3 to 5 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken. Remove from heat.
6. Stir in cream and chicken. Serve.
Reference: Chicken poblano chowder recipe
Recipe type: xarchivex
Find more recipes on thesmartcookiecook.com or see our latest posts.