Chai creme brulee recipe
Chai Creme Brulee
⚠ Note: for metric to imperial (or vice-versa) conversion please refer to our article on Cooking Measurements 101.
♼ Featured image is generic and does not represent the final look of a dish.
Sweet and creamy creme brulee infused w/ exotic East Indian flavored tea.
Ready in: 4 hours
- 1-1/3 cups heavy cream
- 4 black tea bags (such as Tetley(R) or Bigelow(R))
- 1-1/2-inch thick slice smashed fresh ginger (approx 2 teaspoons)
- 1/2 stick cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons and 1-3/4 teaspoons white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons turbinado (raw) sugar, or as needed, divided
Prep: 3 hours | Cook: 1 hour
1. Have ready 4-4 ounce ramekins, 9×9-inch square baking pan, & hot water.
2. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
3. Heat cream in a 1 quart covered saucepan until scalded.
4. Add next 5 ingredients & cover w/ lid. Allow to steep for 5-8 mins.
5. Meanwhile, whisk together yolks, sugar, vanilla, and salt until combined & sugar is dissolved.
6. Strain tea bags, cinnamon, & ginger from cream, extracting as much cream as possible from tea bags.
7. While constantly stirring yolk mixture, gradually pour hot cream to yolks; being careful not to scramble yolks.
8. Divide custard evenly among the ramekins & place in baking pan lined w/ paper towel.
9. Carefully pour enough hot water in pan to climb halfway up sides of ramekins.
10. Bake for 45-50 minutes until custard is set around edges, but, jiggles slightly in center.
11. Remove to cooling rack & allow to cool to room temp. (45-60 mins.)
12. Chill covered, in refrigerator until firm (min. 2 hrs.)
13. When ready to serve, sprinkle 1 tsp. raw sugar over each ramekin shaking gently to cover surface evenly.
14. Using a kitchen torch, caramelize sugar until all crystals are evenly melted. Allow surface to harden before serving.
Tags: recipe, Chai creme brulee recipe, diy, how to cook, prepare Chai creme brulee recipe
Recipe type: xarchivex
Find more recipes on thesmartcookiecook.com