Buttermilk cornbread recipe
⚠ Note: for metric to imperial (or vice-versa) conversion please refer to our article on Cooking Measurements 101.
♼ Featured image is generic and may not represent the (final) appearance of a dish.
♼ Recipe origin is unknown.
This is my adaptation of a family recipe for skillet baked cornbread using buttermilk and cream-style corn. Goes well with just about anything!
Ready in: 45 mins
- 2 cups of yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups of buttermilk
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1 cup cream style corn
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 tbsp vegetable or olive oil
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 30 mins
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
2. Place 10 inch cast-iron skillet in oven.
3. Thoroughly mix all dry ingredients, then add the buttermilk, egg, corn and butter.
4. Remove skillet from oven and put the 2 tbsp of oil into the skillet. Pour batter into skillet.
5. Bake for about 30 minutes or until knife inserted into center comes out clean.
Reference: Buttermilk cornbread recipe
Recipe type: xarchivex
Find more recipes on thesmartcookiecook.com or see our latest posts.