Asian style beef oxtail recipe
Asian Style Beef Oxtail
⚠ Note: for metric to imperial (or vice-versa) conversion please refer to our article on Cooking Measurements 101.
♼ Featured image is generic and may not represent the (final) appearance of a dish.
♼ Recipe origin is unknown.
This is just a family recipe that I have changed slightly, the flavours are stronger. It is a simple dish with just simple ingredients but you will need a large pot to fit all the ingredients (can be a 1 pot dish if you wish). This dish is an overnight dish. Leaving it overnight in the fridge allows the excess oil/fat from oxtail to float to the top, therefore easily removing them.
Ready in: 1 day 2 hours 25 mins
- 2 packs of oxtail (usually 6-8 big pieces and 6-8 small ones).
- Flour to coat
- 3 onions
- 1 quart beef stock (more might be needed)
- 1 lemon grass stick (bottle/tube from supermarket is fine, just add extra)
- 2 tablespoons of Oyster sauce
- 1-2 pieces stone sugar (can be purchased at local supermarket, Asian food aisle)
- Carrots/Vegetables of your choice
Prep: 25 mins | Cook: 2 hours | Extra time: 1 day, chilling
1. Trim Ox-tail and remove excess fat, do leave a small amount. Cover Ox-tail with flour on all sides.
2. Slice two of the three onions and roughly dice the garlic.
3. Roughly dice lemon grass (skip this step if you bought lemon grass paste or bottled ones).
4. In a frying pan, brown all sides of the ox-tail and put ox-tail on paper towels to soak excess oil.
5. In the large pot, slightly brown garlic and onions. 2-3 minutes. Put Ox-tail on top of onion/garlic mixture. Add the beef stock into the pot (make sure enough beef stock to cover the ingredients); add lemon grass; add 2 tablespoon of oyster sauce and then add 1 big piece of stone sugar (more or less depending on your taste). Bring the Ox-tail to the boil, make sure all the ingredients are stirred in. On medium to low heat cook uncovered for 30 minutes, 30 minutes covered (stirring occasionally).
6. Put aside let it cool, once cooled put in fridge OVERNIGHT. This is an important step. Next day, take pot out of fridge, remove the white/cream stuff of the top layer (this is excess oil/fat from frying onions and the oxtail).
7. Return Ox-tail and bring to the boil (stirring occasionally to avoid mixture sticking to the bottom of the pot, this tend to happen from heating cold food). Cook for another 45-60 minutes on medium to low heat, stirring occasionally, this is also the perfect time to taste and see what needs to be added, this depends on your taste. Add desire vegetables into the mixture at the appropriate cooking time.
8. (Extra step) you can thicken the sauce to your desire by mixing equal amount of flour and cornflour with water (mix well or else there will be lumps), 1/2 tablespoon each will thicken it slightly, more to thicken it more. Serve with Rice or mash potatoes. (I prefer rice)
Reference: Asian style beef oxtail recipe
Recipe type: xarchivex
Find more recipes on thesmartcookiecook.com or see our latest posts.