Vanilla swiss roll
Recipe for vanilla swiss roll
⚠ Note: for metric to imperial (or vice-versa) conversion please refer to our article on Cooking Measurements 101.
♼ Featured image is generic and may not represent the (final) appearance of a dish.
♼ Recipe origin is unknown.
For 38 x 33cm pan
5 egg yolks
50g castor sugar
1½ tbsp milk
1½ tbsp rum
100g superfine/ cake flour
½ tsp baking powder
5 egg whites
¼ tsp cream of tartar
50g castor sugar
150g non-dairy whipping cream
2 tsp Coffeemate creamer (or any other creamer in powder form)
- Line a 38 x 33cm swiss roll pan with parchment paper. It does not have to be greaseproof.
- Pour whipping cream into a bowl. Sprinkle Coffeemate on whipping cream and chill. Cut strawberries into large cubes and chill until you need them later.
- Combine egg yolks and castor sugar in a mixing bowl. Use a hand whisk to beat until light and creamy.
- Sift flour and baking soda into a mixing bowl. Add all the remaining ingredients in A. Mix until a consistent and smooth mixture is obtained.
- In another mixing bowl, whip egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy. Add sugar in B and whip at high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Fold 1/3 of whipped egg whites into mixture of Step 4. Then, pour this mixture to the remaining egg whites in the other mixing bowl. Fold lightly to combine both mixtures.
- Pour batter into a the prepared swill roll pan. Bake at a preheated over at 170 deg C for 15-20 minutes or until skewer inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Meanwhile, prepare another piece of parchment paper which is roughly larger than the base of pan.
- When the cake is baked, remove it from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Now, invert the cake onto the piece of clean parchment paper (in Step 7). Carefully remove the lining paper from the cake.
- Trim the edges of the cake. With the aid of the clean parchment paper, roll the cake up and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Whip the cream until stiff. Add the strawberries cubes into the cream and mix well.
- Unroll the cake and spread it with the whipped cream. With the aid of the parchment paper, roll up the cake from the wider edge such that you will have a 38cm length swiss roll. Stand the swiss roll in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to make sure that the swiss roll will not unroll later.
- Slice and serve. Chill the cake at all times.
1. Substitute strawberries with fresh mango cubes for swill roll with mango filling.
2. Add 20g of cocoa powder into Ingredients A for Chocolate Swill Roll. Substitute strawberries with pitted cherries.
Reference: Vanilla swiss roll
Recipe type: xarchivex
Find more recipes on thesmartcookiecook.com or see our latest posts.