Sweet tomato chutney recipe
Sweet Tomato Chutney recipe⚠ Note: for metric to imperial (or vice-versa) conversion please refer to our article on Cooking Measurements 101.
♼ Featured image is generic and does not represent the final look of a dish.
- 1 whole head garlic, peeled & chopped
- One 2-inch piece of fresh ginger (1 inch by 1 inch), peeled and chopped
- 1-1/2 cups red wine vinegar
- 2 pounds fresh skinned tomatoes (or 1 pound and 12 ounces canned whole tomatoes)
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (depending on how hot you like it)
- 2 Tablespoons golden raisins
- 2 Tablespoons blanched slivered almonds
Put the garlic, ginger and 1/2 cup of vinegar in the food processor and process until smooth. In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, place the tomatoes (and juice from the can if using canned tomatoes) and the rest of the vinegar, sugar, salt, cayenne. Bring to a boil. Add the puree from the food processor and simmer uncovered for about 2 to 3 hours until it thickens and a film clings to a spoon when dipped. Stir occasionally at first and more frequently later as it thickens. You may need to lower the heat as the liquid diminishes. Add almonds and raisins. Simmer, stirring another 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and let cool. It should be as thick as honey. Bottle in clean containers, and refrigerate. Must be kept in the refrigerator. Good indefinitely. Makes about 2 cups.
This is great served with cream cheese and crackers.
Tags: recipe, Sweet tomato chutney recipe, diy, how to cook, prepare Sweet tomato chutney recipe Recipe type: xarchivexFind more recipes on thesmartcookiecook.com