Smothered pork chops recipe
Smothered Pork Chops
⚠ Note: for metric to imperial (or vice-versa) conversion please refer to our article on Cooking Measurements 101.
♼ Featured image is generic and may not represent the (final) appearance of a dish.
♼ Recipe origin is unknown.
Ready in: 1 hour 10 mins
- 4 pork chops
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- All-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup bacon drippings or vegetable shortening
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 1 hour
1. Wash pork chops and pat dry. Mix seasonings together. Rub on chops (approximately 1/4 teaspoon per chop). Reserve remaining seasoning for gravy. Lightly dust chops with flour. Heat drippings in a large, heavy skillet. Add chops and brown each side, approximately 5 to 10 minutes.
2. Remove chops from pan to a warm, paper towel-covered platter. Remove all but 1/4 cup drippings from the pan. Add sliced onion and brown. The trick is to get the flour as brown as possible without burning it or the onion. Add water and stir. Return chops to pan and add sufficient water to cover. Bring to a quick boil; reduce heat to low;
3. Cover and simmer about an hour or until chops are fork tender. Season to taste with additional seasoning mix, if desired.
Reference: Smothered pork chops recipe
Recipe type: xarchivex
Find more recipes on thesmartcookiecook.com or see our latest posts.