Savory ham and sweet potato purses recipe
Savory Ham and Sweet Potato Purses recipe
⚠ Note: for metric to imperial (or vice-versa) conversion please refer to our article on Cooking Measurements 101.
♼ Featured image is generic and may not represent the (final) appearance of a dish.
♼ Recipe origin is unknown.
- 1 large sweet potato or yam, peeled and chunked (2 cups)
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1/2 large onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and diced
- 2 shallots, peeled and diced
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced (1/4 pound)
- 1/2 cup red pepper, chopped (1/2 large)
- 1 small tomato, chopped, seeded, and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry dough, thawed
- 6 slices Jones Dairy Farmham
- 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeÃ±o peppers, grated
- 1 egg, slightly beaten (for egg wash)
- Optional garnish: diced red, orange, and yellow peppers and minced parsley
1999 Jones Dairy Farm B&B Recipe Competition Winner!
In a saucepan, cover sweet potatoes with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook until tender (about 15 minutes). Drain, transfer to a mixing bowl, and mash coarsely.
Heat oil in saute pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, shallots, and basil and saute for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and red pepper and cook for about 7 minutes or until mushroom liquid has evaporated. Add sauteed vegetables to the sweet potatoes along with the tomato, celery salt, and lemon juice, and combine gently. (Filling may be prepared to this point and covered and refrigerated overnight. Remove from refrigerator and allow to warm slightly before proceeding.)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lay sheet of pastry dough on floured surface and cut into thirds lengthwise, then cut each third in half crosswise. Roll into six 6-inch squares. Center one slice of ham on each of six squares. Spoon 1/6 of filling onto each square, top with a generous Tablespoon of cheese, then pull up the corners of each square, twisting to secure. Flare out corners to resemble a purse. Brush egg wash over purses and place on ungreased baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes until golden.
Serve immediately garnished with pepper “jewels” and parsley.
Reference: Savory ham and sweet potato purses recipe
Recipe type: xarchivex
Find more recipes on thesmartcookiecook.com or see our latest posts.