Mom’s true italian tomato sauce recipe
Mom’s True Italian Tomato Sauce
⚠ Note: for metric to imperial (or vice-versa) conversion please refer to our article on Cooking Measurements 101.
♼ Featured image is generic and does not represent the final look of a dish.
My Mom’s sauce was handed down to her by my Nona (Grandma). It has been in the family forever and now I give it to you. This sauce is the best you will ever taste and the easiest you will ever make. I hope you like it.
Ready in: 2 hours 10 mins
- 2 tablespoons oil (olive is preferable)
- 1 (28 ounce) jar tomato sauce, or 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatos
- 28 ounces water (use empty jar of sauce)
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 2 hours
1. In a large pot, pour 2 tablespoons of oil. Turn stove heat to HIGH. Pour contents of jar (sauce, or a can of crushed tomatoes) into pot.
2. Fill empty jar with water and pour water into pot. Stir sauce. Turn heat down to 3 or 4 (or minimum setting). Do NOT cover.
3. Stir sauce every 5 to 10 minutes for anywhere from 2 to 4 hours (The longer you cook it, the better it tastes!).
4. Add water after at least 2 hours of cooking until you get desired thickness (add more or less water according to preference).Antonio’s Tip:
If you would like to add spices to your sauce (e.g. garlic, peppers, mushrooms): If you add it at the beginning of cooking, the flavors will ‘mix and mingle’ with the sauce, causing the entire sauce to taste the same. If you add it at the end, you will have individual strong tastes of the spices throughout the sauce. ENJOY!
Reference: Mom’s true italian tomato sauce recipe
Recipe type: xarchivex
Find more recipes on thesmartcookiecook.com or see our latest posts.