Lebanese baked kibbeh recipe
Lebanese Baked KibbehThis article was published by: Matthew
⚠ Note: for metric to imperial (or vice-versa) conversion please refer to our article on Cooking Measurements 101.
♼ Featured image is generic and may not represent the (final) appearance of a dish.
♼ Recipe origin is unknown.
The fine bulghur (crushed wheat) in this recipe might seem like a specialty ingredient, but it is actually in most supermarkets, near the rice, under the name Near East(R) Taboule Wheat Salad Mix (you won’t need the seasoning packet).
Ready in: 1 hour 15 mins
- For filling
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 lb ground lamb (not lean)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup pine nuts plus 2 tablespoons for garnish, all toasted
- For bulghur mixture
- 1 cup fine bulghur (crushed wheat) (6 1/2 oz)
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 lb ground lamb (not lean)
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
Preparation methodPrep: 40 mins | Cook: 35 mins
1. Make filling:
2. Cook onion in oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Add lamb, allspice, salt, cinnamon, and pepper and cook, stirring and breaking up lumps, until lamb is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 1/3 cup pine nuts.
3. Make bulghur mixture:
4. Preheat oven to 400°F.
5. Cover bulghur (crushed wheat) by 1 inch with cold water in a bowl. When dust and chaff rise to surface, pour off water, then repeat rinsing 2 more times. Cover rinsed bulghur with cold water by 1 inch and let stand 10 minutes. Drain in a fine-mesh sieve, pressing hard on bulgur to remove excess liquid, and transfer to a large bowl.
6. Pulse onion in a food processor until finely chopped. Add lamb, allspice, salt, cinnamon, and pepper and pulse until onion is finely minced (meat will look smooth). Add to bulghur and mix with your hands to combine well.
7. Assemble and bake kibbeh:
8. Lightly grease pie plate with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. Press half of bulgur mixture evenly onto bottom and up side of plate (up 1 inch if using skillet). Spoon filling evenly over bulghur mixture. Spoon remaining bulghur mixture over filling and spread to cover, smoothing top. Brush top with remaining olive oil and score in a crosshatch pattern with a paring knife.
9. Bake kibbeh in middle of oven until cooked through, 35 to 40 minutes.
10. Preheat broiler. Broil kibbeh 5 to 7 inches from heat until top is golden brown and crusty, 3 to 5 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Reference: Lebanese baked kibbeh recipe
Recipe type: xarchivex
Find more recipes on thesmartcookiecook.com or see our latest posts.
(Visited 42 times, 1 visits today)