Jim’s zydeco red beans and rice recipe
Jim’s Zydeco Red Beans and RiceThis article was published by: Matthew
Share this content!
⚠ Note: for metric to imperial (or vice-versa) conversion please refer to our article on Cooking Measurements 101.
♼ Featured image may be generic and may not represent the (final) appearance of a dish.
Recipe introIntroducing Jim's Zydeco Red Beans and Rice recipe, a flavorful and hearty dish that brings the taste of Louisiana to your kitchen. This traditional Cajun-inspired recipe combines tender red beans with aromatic spices, smoky sausage, and a touch of heat for a truly satisfying meal. With its rich flavors and comforting texture, this recipe is perfect for gatherings or a cozy weeknight dinner. Get ready to indulge in a bowl of soulful goodness that will transport you straight to the heart of the bayou.
Keywords: Zydeco, red beans, rice, Cajun-inspired, Louisiana.
Jim's zydeco red beans and rice recipe details
This is not an instant meal, but since no canned or “quickie” style meal has ever graced my table, I offer this one. It is done using traditional methods, but is well worth the time spent in preparation. You’ve never tasted anything like this, unless you’ve eaten red beans and rice along the Lafouche Bayou, in a town called LaRose, LA, that is. When all is ready, put a large scoop of rice in the bottom of a bowl, cover with red beans, butter some bread and crack your favorite beverage.
Ready in: 18 hours
- 1 (1 pound) package dried red kidney beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can beef consomme
- 1 (10 ounce) can Ro*Tel(R) tomatoes and green chiles
- 2 fresh Italian (Roma) tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 bell pepers, diced (I use 1 green/1 yellow for color)
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 4 – 6 redskin potatoes, quartered
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground sea salt
- 4 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (crushed)
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 pound Italian sausage, angle cut 1/2 inch thick
- 1 pound Cajun style sausage, angle cut 1/2 inch thick
- 3 -4 cups boiled white rice (cooked separately)
Preparation methodPrep: 12 hours | Cook: 6 hours
1. Soak beans overnight (I warned you). Drain beans, then return hydrated beans to crock pot. Add beef consomme, then add enough water to cover beans by about 2 inches. Add, and mix in, all ingredients. Turn crock put on high until mixture begins to boil, about 30 minutes.
2. Let mixture boil for about two hours, then reduce heat to lowest setting and simmer until all ingredients such as potatoes and peppers are tender. This may take several hours.
3. When beans are nearing completion, wash and cook rice.Cook’s note:
In a large (6 qt) crock pot, this recipe can be doubled, to provide wonderful left-overs.
Share this content!
As seen in:
Reference: Jim’s zydeco red beans and rice recipe
Recipe type: xarchivex
Find more recipes on thesmartcookiecook.com or see our latest posts.