Fricasee chicken recipe
Fricasee ChickenThis article was published by: Matthew
⚠ Note: for metric to imperial (or vice-versa) conversion please refer to our article on Cooking Measurements 101.
♼ Featured image is generic and may not represent the (final) appearance of a dish.
♼ Recipe origin is unknown.
Tasty, inexpensive chicken and gravy combo. Delicious over mashed potatoes or buttered toast. Makes enough for lots of meals. This is another of my attempts to recreate and improve meals my mother made in my childhood.
Ready in: 2 hours 20 mins
- 1 3 to 5 pound roasting chicken
- 1 (10 ounce) can sweet peas
- 8 to 10 quarts water
- 2 cups instant flour (Wondra(R))
- 1/4 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet(R)
- Salt and pepper
Preparation methodPrep: 10 mins | Cook: 2 hours 10 mins
1. Fill large stockpot with water, leaving 6 inches from top. Bring to a boil on high heat.
2. Rinse chicken and add to boiling water; simmer for 2 hours, until meat separates from the bone. Remove from heat, take out chicken and bones, and set aside to cool.
3. Strain 4 quarts of the chicken broth in 6 quart pan. Remove chicken meat from carcass, discarding skin, bones and gristle. Shred chicken meat by hand.
4. Mix 2 cups Wondra with cold cold water, until mixture is of thin consistency. Bring broth to rapid boil, add Kitchen Bouquet, then pour in Wondra/water mixture while stirring constantly. Let stand, boiling, for 1 minute. Remove from heat and strain.
5. Add shredded chicken meat and peas to gravy. Serve immediately with salt and pepper to season.
Reference: Fricasee chicken recipe
Recipe type: xarchivex
Find more recipes on thesmartcookiecook.com or see our latest posts.
(Visited 20 times, 1 visits today)