Fresh ginger muffins
Fresh Ginger Muffins recipe
These muffins fill the house with the aroma of fresh ginger and lemon — it brings the guests downstairs early.
- One 2-ounce piece of ginger root
- 3/4 cup and 1/4 cup sugar, separated
- 2 Tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 stick butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease muffin tins. Chop unpeeled ginger into fine pieces (approximately 1/4 cup). Put ginger and 1/4 cup sugar in pan and cook over medium heat until sugar has melted. Remove from heat and let mixture cool. Chop lemon zest into small bits and stir in 1/4 cup sugar. Add lemon mixture to ginger mixture. Stir and set aside.
Put butter in bowl with remaining 1/2 cup sugar and beat until smooth. Add eggs and beat well. Add buttermilk and mix well. Add flour, salt, and baking soda and beat until smooth. Add ginger-lemon mixture and mix well. Spoon batter into muffin tins (3/4 full) and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve warm.
Yield: 16 muffins
- High-Altitude Adjustments:
- Decrease baking soda by 1/4 teaspoon and sugar by 2 teaspoons.
- Increase buttermilk to 1-1/4 cups.
- Increase oven temperature by 25 degrees.
Tags: recipe, Fresh ginger muffins, cooking, diy