Filipino tamarind prawn soup recipe
Filipino Tamarind Prawn Soup
⚠ Note: for metric to imperial (or vice-versa) conversion please refer to our article on Cooking Measurements 101.
♼ Featured image is generic and may not represent the (final) appearance of a dish.
♼ Recipe origin is unknown.
A tasty mix of sweet and sour flavors this quick authentic Filipino seafood soup.
Ready in: 25 mins
- 5 cups water
- 2 teaspoons tamarind concentrate
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 tomatoes, quartered
- 2 radishes, sliced
- 1/2 pound kangkong (Philippine water spinach) or baby spinach
- 1/2 pound string beans, trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 1/4 pounds raw prawns, peeled
- 1/2 to 1 serrano pepper, seeds removed, chopped
- Salt or fish sauce, to taste
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 10 mins
1. Combine water, tamarind concentrate, onion, tomatoes, and radishes in a large soup pot and set over high heat. Bring to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes.
2. Turn heat down to medium-low. Add prawns, kangkong, green beans, and serrano pepper. Cook at a low boil for 5 minutes, or until prawns turn opaque.
3. Add salt to taste, then serve in bowls.
Reference: Filipino tamarind prawn soup recipe
Recipe type: xarchivex
Find more recipes on thesmartcookiecook.com or see our latest posts.