Corn cakes with smoked salmon and creme fraiche
Corn Cakes with Smoked Salmon and Creme Fraiche recipe
Breakfast at the Inn at Portsmouth Harbor is a real treat! A good indication is the empty plates coming back into the kitchen. Working with seasonal and regional ingredients, as fresh as possible, are important priorities. The following recipe is one of our most requested and showcases a real treat from the sea, smoked salmon! Enjoy!
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 4 Tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup unbleached white flour (I always use King Arthur flour from Norwich, Vermont; its the best!)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 3 extra large eggs
- 1 cup milk (non-fat works fine)
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup corn kernels (if using frozen, defrost and drain well)
- 6 ounces non-fat sour cream (Breakstonesis my favorite)
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 pound smoked salmon, thinly sliced
- Sliced scallions and/or chives
- Vegetable oil
In a large bowl, pour the boiling water over the cornmeal. Add the butter and set aside while the butter melts. In another bowl, blend flour, baking powder, and sugar. In a smaller bowl, beat eggs well, then add milk, scallions, and corn. When the cornmeal is cool, add the egg mixture and stir with a spatula until smooth. Add dry ingredients and blend well. To make the sauce, blend the sour cream with the red onion and wine. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Heat a griddle over medium heat and lightly grease with vegetable oil. Heat oven to 200 degrees. Drop batter using a 1/3 cup measure onto griddle. When bubbles appear, flip and brown lightly on other side. Place on baking sheet in oven to keep warm while cooking remaining cakes.
To serve, place 3 cakes on each plate with rolled salmon slices and a dollop of creme in the center. Sprinkle with scallions or chives.
The batter can be made the night before and refrigerated, as can the creme fraiche. These cakes are also delicious served with sliced grilled ham and maple syrup!
Tags: recipe, Corn cakes with smoked salmon and creme fraiche, cooking, diy