Your first roast turkey recipe
Your First Roast Turkey
⚠ Note: for metric to imperial (or vice-versa) conversion please refer to our article on Cooking Measurements 101.
♼ Featured image is generic and may not represent the (final) appearance of a dish.
♼ Recipe origin is unknown.
First year cooking the turkey? This bird is as simple as it gets. You can’t go wrong with this recipe–but you might want to start here and add your own twist.
Ready in: 3 hours 20 mins
- 1 (12 to 14 pound) turkey, at room temperature
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 2 lemons, cut in half
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 sprigs thyme
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 3 hours
1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
2. Coat turkey with oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and place onion, lemon, and herbs inside the bird’s cavity. Place in a roasting pan and tie legs together with kitchen string.
3. Bake for 30 minutes, then cover with foil and turn heat down to 350 degrees F. Cook for another 2 hours, until turkey’s inner thigh reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
4. Remove from oven and let stand for 30 minutes, then carve and serve.
Reference: Your first roast turkey recipe
Recipe type: xarchivex
Find more recipes on thesmartcookiecook.com or see our latest posts.