Bacon ice cream recipe
Bacon Ice Cream
⚠ Note: for metric to imperial (or vice-versa) conversion please refer to our article on Cooking Measurements 101.
♼ Featured image is generic and may not represent the (final) appearance of a dish.
♼ Recipe origin is unknown.
Everything is better with bacon, as they say.
Ready in: 9 hours 15 mins
Makes: 6 cups
- 4 slices thick sliced American bacon
- 1/2 cup 60% cacao chocolate chips
- 1 tsp shortening
- 3 2/3 cups half and half
- 1 cup cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3 large eggs
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 1/8 cups sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
Prep: 30 mins | Cook: 45 mins | Extra time: 8 hours, chilling
1. Bake bacon on sheet tray at 325 degrees until crisp, no turning necessary. Drain on paper towels. Place a rack over sheet tray and place bacon on that. Gently melt chocolate chips with shortening in microwave 30 seconds at a time, stirring often. Drizzle chocolate over bacon, smoothing to cover with back of spoon, flip bacon and repeat on second side. Freeze.
2. Slit the vanilla bean down the side and scrape seeds into medium heavy bottomed sauce pan. Add bean, milk, cream and half and half. Bring to simmer and continue cooking about ½ hour, stirring often. Put eggs, yolks and sugar in mixing bowl and mix till well combined, about two minutes. Remove vanilla bean from pot. With mixer on low speed add 1 cup hot milk mixture in slow stream. Mix well. With milk mixture still on low heat, add egg mixture slowly, stirring constantly. Continue stirring until mixture coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract. Transfer to bowl and place plastic wrap directly on custard surface. Chill well, at least 6 hours.
3. Put custard into cold ice cream maker until of soft serve consistency. Remove bacon from freezer and break into small chunks, abt ½”. Transfer custard to freezer container, layering and folding in bacon bits. Freeze till firm. Yield abt. 6 cups.
Reference: Bacon ice cream recipe
Recipe type: xarchivex
Find more recipes on thesmartcookiecook.com or see our latest posts.