Sausage and beans recipe
Sausage and Beans
⚠ Note: for metric to imperial (or vice-versa) conversion please refer to our article on Cooking Measurements 101.
♼ Featured image is generic and does not represent the final look of a dish.
A simple dish that can be made from ingredients readily available in most kitchens or pantries. Good with biscuits or crunchy French bread.
Ready in: 55 mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons diced garlic
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced, slices halved
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 3 tablespoons pickled jalapeno pepper slices, diced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 1 (8 ounce) smoked sausage, cut into ¼ inch round slices
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans, drained
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 45 mins
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat with a small amount of garlic. When garlic starts to sizzle, reduce heat to low medium and add rest of garlic. Sauté until fragrant, about one minute.
2. Add onion, bell pepper, jalapenos, and crushed red pepper, mix well and continue to cook for about 2 or 3 minutes. Add sausage and vinegar, mix, cover and simmer for 5 more minutes.
3. Add tomatoes and beans, mixing well. Cover, reduce heat to low and continue to simmer for 30 minutes. Serve immediately.
4. May be refrigerated overnight and reheated when ready to serve. It’s good right away, just as good, if not better, the next day.Ingredient Substitutions
Canned tomatoes can be used if fresh aren’t available. Other types of beans (navy, pinto, etc) can be substituted for great northerns. 2 small fresh jalapeno can be substituted for pickled jalapeno.
Reference: Sausage and beans recipe
Recipe type: xarchivex
Find more recipes on thesmartcookiecook.com or see our latest posts.